“Store requires no indians or Asians please. MUST SPEAK ENGLISH”
Local newspaper The Mercury reported that it was later removed from the site.
While this stinks of racism and sparked a great outrage on social media sites, what I learnt while discussing this particular bit of news with my office colleagues was further unnerving, unfathomable even!
What my colleague said was this:
“I am surprised they said no to even Asians!”
Er….yes, my dear. But what do you mean by THAT? Aren’t all people in the Asian Continent called Asians?
She said, “Perhaps. But they are not all treated alike. Chinese are Chinese and Japanese are Japanese. They are not Asians. They are superior beings and are not discriminated against as much as those from India, Pakistan and such neighbouring countries!!!”
I asked, why?
She shrugged and answered glibly – “because they have white skin…”
She has her two daughters married and settled in New Jersey and Brisbane, respectively. So I figured she must have some insider knowledge/ experience in the matter.
Frankly, I was aghast! I don’t quite understand. Indians have white skin too. Infact, Indians have all colours of skin. How does it matter? Aren’t Indians capable? Aren’t they smart, beautiful, intelligent, hard-working, willing, hospitable, loving? What is it that we lack?
To begin with, this whole thing about discrimination based on race, caste, creed, colour is anathema to me. And then to learn that Indians are considered any lesser was something I just couldn’t digest.
(Disclaimer: I am an Indian so I speak for Indians. That does not mean I consider discrimination against any other nationality any less evil)
Lets look at some facts:
- Indians made significant contributions to calculus, trigonometry, and algebra. The decimal system was invented in India in 100 B.C. The concept of zero as a number is also attributed to India, invented by Aryabhatta.
- The World’s first university was established in Takshila in 700BC.
More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
- Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the
most suitable language for computer software – a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka,
The father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.
- Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of
development, India was the richest country on earth until the time of
British invasion in the early 17th Century.
- India has the world’s third largest road network at 1.9 million miles. It also has the world’s second largest rail network, which is the world’s largest civilian employer with 16 million workers.
- India is world’s largest democracy.
- About 8 Indians feature in the latest most influential business thinkers list, which is released once in every 2 years by Thinkers50
- The Indian Film Industry is world’s largest centre of film production.
- Here is the list of top 20 Indians who have influenced the world as we know it.
- Indians hold prominent places both internationally and in the United States. For example, the co-founder of Sun Microsystems (Vinod Khosla), the creator of the Pentium chip (Vinod Dahm), the founder/creator of Hotmail (Sabeer Bhatia), the GM of Hewlett-Packard (Rajiv Gupta), and the world cricket champion (Sachin Tendulkar)
- Indian girls have won most International Beauty Pagents:
- Indians who won Nobel Prize:
|1968||Har Gobind Khorana||Medicine|
|1998||Amartya Sen||Economic Sciences|
Here are a few quotes from amongst many famous quotes in praise of India:
- Albert Einstein said: We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to
count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
- Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace
of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
- French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face
of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.
- Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA said: India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.
Why, look closer home. We have so many bright and wonderful Indian bloggers right here in the WordPress Community. Here are some that I know:
Well, I rest my case.
Just because India is battling poverty and political corruption, which incidentally are the only 2 hurdles, according to me, that are keeping India from rising higher up on the world map, does not mean Indians are any less able or are to be treated derogatively…
…unless the ad meant “Indians need not apply – for such a menial job” 😉